Motorists and travelers are advised anew of possible heavier traffic disruptions on Sunday morning,October 15, 2017 during the 3rd convoy dry run to be conducted by the ASEAN Security Task Force (ASTF) which will affect more routes in Metro Manila.
The 3rd convoy dry run is part of the intensified security preparations for the upcoming 31st ASEAN Summit in November this year.
At a recently concluded meeting of the Technical Working Group(TWG)on Traffic Management, TWG Chairperson Emmanuel V. Miro said that from the previously affected southbound lanes of Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway(SCTEX), North Luzon Expressway (NLEX),and EDSA,several areas in Makati,Taguig,Pasay,and Manila will also be affected.
Miro added that on the third convoy dry run,there will be three scenarios: the first convoy will proceed to Manila Hotel in Manila;the second one will go to Bonifacio Global City(BGC)in Taguig City;and the third one will head towards The Peninsula Manila in Makati City.The starting point of all convoys will be at the Clark International Airport in Pampanga.
From these hotels,the three convoys will proceed to the Philippine International Convention Center(PICC)in Manila to simulate the billet to venue scenario which will affect Jalandoni St.,Arnaiz St.,and V. Sotto St. in Pasay City.
Additional routes to be affected for the first convoy will be South Luzon Expressway(SLEX) Skyway,Buendia Extension, J. W. Diokno Boulevard,and Roxas Boulevard, while the affected routes for the second convoy will be McKinley Street, and from 5th to 30th Streets in Taguig City.Likewise,affected routes for the third convoy will be Ayala Avenue and Makati Avenue in Makati City.
Above-mentioned routes are all part of the ASEAN ceremonial lanes which are expected to be more heavily affected during the actual event in November.
With only 33 days to go before the actual ASEAN Summit, Miro again appealed for the public’s patience and understanding “as we continue to enhance and upscale the security preparations amidst the very huge challenge of ensuring the safety of our ASEAN delegates during the actual event."
He likewise urged motorists and travelers to take alternate routes and refrain from passing through said areas during the scheduled dry run.
2nd convoy dry run a success
Miro also reported that the second convoy dry run held on October 8 was considered a “success” as it took only one hour from Clark Airport to Conrad Manila in Pasay City.
He thanked the 21 participating national government agencies, local government units (LGUs), and the NLEX management for their help and support during the said dry run.
“The success of the upcoming 31st ASEAN Summit will largely depend on our collective effort and it is very necessary that all security personnel from the Commanders down to the last person on the ground are on the same page,”Miro said.
During the October 8 dry run,full traffic stop was observed as the convoy passed through the southbound lanes of Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX),North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) and EDSA.
With just about a month to go before the actual event, he said traffic preparations are now continuously being tested, rehearsed and adjusted for a seamless and hassle-free road travel for the delegates during the ASEAN Summit.
During the debriefing,the TWG acknowledged that there is a need to improve on interchange choke points along NLEX and EDSA to achieve 100% security and safety during the summit.
The first convoy dry run was conducted last September 24. After the third convoy dry run on Oct 15, two more dry runs are set on October 22 and 29 to test various scenarios,light conditions, and intervals.
The series of convoy dry runs spearheaded by the TWG on Traffic Management is part of the preparations being undertaken by the Committee on Security,Peace and Order, Emergency Preparedness and Response (CSPOEPR) which is composed of 21-member agencies headed by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).###(ASEAN SECURITY TASK FORCE PRESS RELEASE)